Digital Strategy 
Ready to Go

What is Digital Strategy?

There is "digital" in digital strategy. The principles that underpin a digital strategy are reach, impressions and conversions. Exactly the same as audience, affect and sales. These are the strategic benchmarks. Goals are the measurable results you are seeking. 

People are still the primary target of your message. 

The tools you use are digital. That makes a big difference. Tools defines use.

This leads me to conclude that "marketing" is an objective (of many) and the tools are digital. 

A traditional marketer is public, a "digital" sits behind a screen, his/her avatars are public.

SEO is principally focused on providing a good experience for a user. 

The rules of classical strategy apply in digital. "Happy customers is the best strategy."

Digital strategy asks practical questions...

What problem do I solve?

Who are my customers? 

Where and how do I communicate my message? 

How do customers pay for goods and services?

For some businesses (djs, birthday cake sales, used cars) being number 1-3 listing on Google is a defining feature.  For other businesses (lawyers, dentists, jewelry shops), other features drive the buying decision, like proximity, word of mouth, after-sales services. 

It's not a "one size fits all" concept. 

Your goals will dictate choice of platforms and tools. If you are looking for more conversions (sales), then "analytics" and "call to actions" are important. If its followers, it may be social automation. If its online shopping, then paid search or display ads work well. If its newsletters, then email may be the perfect script.

"The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do."

"Henry Mintzberg described five definitions of strategy in 1998:

Strategy as plan - a directed course of action to achieve an intended set of goals.

Strategy as pattern - a consistent pattern of past behavior, with a strategy realized over time rather than planned or intended. Where the realized pattern was different from the intent, he referred to the strategy as emergent (like a Startup).

Strategy as position - locating brands, products, or companies within the market, based on the conceptual framework of consumers or other stakeholders; a strategy determined primarily by factors outside the firm;

Strategy as ploy - a specific maneuver intended to outwit a competitor (coupons, vouchers, discounts could be included in this aspect).

Strategy as perspective - executing strategy based on a "theory of the business" or natural extension of the mindset or ideological perspective of the organization." (developing brick and mortar businesses online).

Above are basic strategic considerations. 

Here are some more practical steps:

 In Tools, we look at free tools. 

In Platforms we drill down into your available channels.

 In Training and Templates we speed up the process.

 In Digital Log we give a first hand view on what works - free!

"No tactics without strategy. No strategy without a plan. No plan without a story."

5 "Ps"🐄

Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance

The first order of battle is "always have a plan." 

The second order of battle is that the plan is subject to change - improvise!

The third order is "learn and adapt." 

In digital media lessons are rarely fatal.

80/20 Rule 

Pareto Principle

80% of the effect come from 20% of the causes

Digital Strategy
Digital Strategy

There are many ways of using the 80/20 Rule...

*20% of your customers generate 80% of profits

*80% of complaints come from 20% of clients

*20% of your work generates 80% of revenue

*20% of your product is most valuable to the user

*Bring a Product to market at 80% - the other 20% will evolve in time.

The primary principle here is that digital media is continually evolving and expanding. To optimise time, energy and resources, knowing what is significant and relevant is of real value. Return on investment (ROI) for customers may mean fewer platforms, but more targeted content. 

That is where we come in...